Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Hello Sociology 1 Students! Guest Post by Dr. Michael Bourgeois

Thank you so much for your hospitality in class.  I enjoyed speaking with you all about research methods and I hope you found the discussion useful and interesting.  I especially appreciate your patience with my technical difficulties!

As you go forward in your studies, especially in sociology, you now have a fundamental understanding that methods are always (well, most often) attached to theory - either testing it from the deductive approach or building it from the inductive approach.   You also now have a keen skeptical eye for operationalization - how a particular concept is converted into a concrete and measurable variable.  This will serve you well both as consumers of research in your remaining classes-  and as producers of your own investigations!  You now have a good basis for both critique and collaboration!

As promised, I'm providing a copy of the PowerPoint I used in class.  I'm including the short film clips as well so if they don't open inside of the powerpoint, just open them separately. [NOTE from Anna: I was unable to combine the clips with the powerpoint - they are embedded below this message.]

Best wishes for your summer!

Michael Bourgeois
  
P.S.  I'll be teaching a few classes in Winter/Spring (Social Movements, Gay and Lesbian Communities, and a couple of others).  Watch for my name in the schedule!



No comments:

Post a Comment